Sedation - what is it? Reviews about treatment under sedation
Each of us knows, and many felt on ourselves that in medical practice there are a lot of extremely unpleasant examinations, analyzes and procedures.
And if lucky, and there were no endoscopicresearch, then I had to treat my teeth all. Today many medical institutions offer this method of anesthesia in carrying out many painful medical procedures and procedures, such as sedation. What it is, in what cases it is used, this article will tell.
Sedation - quite a long time and successfully practiced inEuropean countries and the United States, the method of anesthesia, when through the patient's medications are injected into a peaceful, sleep-like state in which it comfortably tolerates unpleasant and painful medical procedures. Unfortunately, in Russia this procedure has been applied quite recently.
Difference from anesthesia
Before we understand this, let's clarify, sedation - what it is and what it is. ASA specialists - the American Society of Anaesthesiologists have identified the following stages of anesthesia and sedation:
- Anxiolysis. Minimal anesthesia, the patient does not have drowsiness, he is calm and adequately responds to the manipulations with him. Fear, excitement and anxiety are not present or they are weakly expressed.
- Superficial. A person tends to sleep, but speech and consciousness are preserved, and he can interact with the doctor, it is possible to preserve fragmentary memories of the operation or procedure.
- Deep or superseded. The patient is asleep, but the reaction to what is happening, movements and opening of the eyes is maintained.
- General anesthesia.
Consider the main differences between sedation and anesthesia:
- The patient breathes independently.
- There is no blockage of such protective reflexes of the upper respiratory tract, such as cough, swallowing, and others.
- The patient is conscious and able to understand and execute the doctor's commands.
- A person is easily excreted from a state of superficial sleep.
It must be remembered that complete anesthesia can provide general anesthesia, sedation does not. Anesthesia in this procedure is performed by either a surgeon or an anesthesiologist.
How safe is this procedure? This is one of the first questions asked by those who agree to perform any tests or treatment under sedation. Most experts say that it is much easier to transfer than general anesthesia. The patient's sleep is superficial and quite easily interrupted. During medical manipulations, the patient is conscious and able to interact with the doctor. Medicines used to immerse a person in a state of sedation are devoid of any narcotic effect and do not cause addiction and unpleasant subsequent states and sensations. In addition, all clinics that work with this method, necessarily have special drugs that can remove the effect of the used sleeping pills.
Understanding the question of whether sedation - what it is, you need to talk about its types.
We have already talked about the classification of this state in depth, but it is still subdivided depending on the ways of introducing medicines into the following types:
As a rule, dental treatment under sedationis carried out using a special anesthetic gas - nitrous oxide, which the patient breathes constantly through a special face mask. Inhalational administration of drugs causes minimal sedation with a preserved consciousness and the ability to interact with medical personnel.
In order to introduce the patient into a statesurface sedation, use a variety of oral preparations in the form of capsules, tablets or cocktails. The patient retains consciousness and can also perform the simplest teams of specialists.
Intravenous sedation is the most popular among physicians. It is widely used both in Russia and in European countries.
Due to the fact that it is more effective andallows you to accurately dose the amount of injected anesthetics, and also excludes the entry into the air of outpatient offices and operating suspensions of the drug administered.
Advantages and disadvantages of the method
In general, we were able to answer the question: "Sedation - what is it?" We also found out what kind of thing it is. Like any other medical treatment, it has both positive and negative sides. The merits of sedation include:
- Possibility without pain to go through a rather unpleasant procedure.
- Preservation of consciousness with the possibility of an adequate response to the doctor's instructions.
- Lack of memories of the course of the procedure in most patients.
- Self-breathing rights.
- Preservation of all reflexes of the upper respiratory tract.
Negative aspects of sedation include:
- The possibility of individual intolerance of the drugs used.
- Requires special training and a certain self-discipline from the patient.
- The need for full and accurate compliance with all medical recommendations.
Before agreeing to conduct this or thatprocedure, it is important to find out the impressions of those who have already passed it. Dental treatment with sedation was tried by many of those who are panically afraid of visits to the dentist. Most of them are enthusiastic about sedation, because for the first time in their life they did not have fear and accompanying adrenaline rush. Someone in memory has retained separate fragments of treatment, and some do not remember anything at all.
The main disadvantage of sedation, all patients who passed through it called a rather high price, but they made a reservation that they would agree to a next visit to a specialist only if it was carried out.
Instead of concluding
If you decide to hold one or the otherpainful and unpleasant for you medical procedure with sedation, when choosing a clinic where it will be held, pay attention to whether the medical institution has a license to use such medications. This is important, since the drugs used for sedation belong to the group of narcotic and potent substances, the turnover of which is tightly controlled by state structures. In addition, the clinic must have a license for anesthesiology. Only if there are two of the above documents should agree to the procedure with sedation.</ p>>