How to create job profiles to find valuable employees?
Before each manager or manager forsooner or later, the issue of filling a vacant post becomes work with the staff. Selection of a good specialist is not an easy task. To this end, managers often make profiles of posts that help to orient themselves in the requirements to the applicant.
Definition of concept
Profiles of posts are a set ofprofessional and personal competencies, which must match the applicant for a particular position. At the moment there is no formal description of the characteristics that a representative of a particular profession should possess, and therefore these documents are made by the leaders themselves.
You can say that the profile of the post isa kind of standard, according to which the employee must perform his duties. The description should be detailed, and most importantly - realistic. The document should display the following main items:
- place and importance of the position in the organizational structure of a particular enterprise;
- the functional duties that an employee must take on that position;
- profile, which lists the main competencies that a candidate for a position must have;
- personal qualities that are necessary to fulfill certain duties;
- The minimum list of requirements that the organization puts forward to its employees.
Thus, it can be said that the profilesThe positions are a set of characteristics that an employee must match. This is a certain standard that describes the duties, as well as the qualification and personal parameters of the applicant.
Why you need job profiles
Before the HR manager regularlythere is a question of closing a vacancy. Not having made an exhaustive profile of a post, it is not necessary to start direct selection of employees. This document is a kind of hint that is used in the following cases:
- selection of candidates for vacant positions;
- for attestation of already working personnel, in order to determine the degree of compliance with the position occupied (also for employees who have passed the probationary period);
- with a view to drawing up plans for training staff and raising the level of skills;
- if you need to create a reserve of personnel for the future;
- in order to plan career growth and further promotion of employees to senior positions in the organization.
It is quite often that the candidate's profile forthis or that post is confused with the job description. The principal difference between these two documents is that the second is drawn up on the basis of the requirements of the law. Job description is a general document that is drawn up for the profession as a whole, and not for a specific employee of a particular organization. It defines the main duties and conditions of work. A position profile is a document of a local nature that does not have clear requirements for content and structure. The Human Resources Manager (or other personnel) makes it based on your own experience or general practice of the organization.
Each post requires the worker to owncertain competences. These are the qualification characteristics that are necessary for the performance of certain work. Thus, the profile of competencies for posts usually includes the following items:
- strategic thinking (implies the ability to make long-term plans taking into account possible risks and alternatives);
- influence on others (ability to defend one's point of view, and also to convince others of its correctness);
- problem solving skills (the ability to adequately respond to non-standard situations and difficulties, and quickly find ways out of them);
- search for information (selection and filtering of data, ability to find and use actual sources);
- ability to work with clients and counterparts (interests, understanding of psychology, satisfaction of wishes and needs);
- flexibility (prompt response and decision-making in accordance with a changing situation);
- focus on quality (knowledge and implementation of all requirements and norms, as well as the desire for continuous improvement).
Depending on which post is being heldspeech, the list of competences can expand or narrow. A professional position profile contains not only requirements, but also the degree of their severity (basic, high, maximum). This indicator can be determined by the results of the interview or by means of special psychological tests.
How is it compiled
Creating a profile of the position is enoughlaborious process. The need for it is due to the fact that this document allows you to determine the parameters that a valuable employee should have. Correctly formulating the profile, HR staff greatly facilitate the process of finding and selecting new employees. When drafting a document, one should follow a number of recommendations and rules:
- The title of the position should be concise and clearreflect its essence. It is also worthwhile to make a brief description that will contain a list of the main duties of the employee. Can be represented in the form of a list of tasks. This will be the basis of the profile of the post.
- The list of basic information about the post should beinclude not only the procedure of work, but also the amount of wages, which will be one of the key moments in the interview. It is also worth describing the hierarchy of subordination, as well as an approximate list of persons with whom the new employee will have to interact.
- To perform the duties requiredpossession of a set of specific competencies. This list should not be too extensive (no more than 10 points). It can be compiled on the basis of personal experience, theoretical studies, observations of employees, as well as a sociological survey. You can divide the competences into several groups (for example, specific and corporate).
The profile should be concise and concise at the same time. This will allow you to obtain exhaustive information without spending too much time on processing it.
The main stages of creation
The development of the post profile includes several consecutive stages:
- At the first stage of thecarefully study job descriptions, as well as all information regarding the specifics of the work of the enterprise. You can conduct interviews with employees or a sociological survey using unified forms.
- Next, the number of people who will betake direct part in the work. Most often this issue is handled by specialists of the human resources department. Nevertheless, it is also important to involve managers of other services for which profiles are compiled. The work can be carried out jointly or separately, and then the results can be combined into a final working document.
- The third stage involves studyingorganizational structure of the enterprise with the purpose of determining the place of a particular post in it. Subordinates, as well as immediate superiors, must be identified, before which the new employee will keep a record.
- Further detailed description is providedfunctional duties, which correspond to one or another post. The basis is taken not only regulatory legal acts, but also personal experience in a particular enterprise.
- In the fifth stage, the human resources manager (or otherthe specialist who is engaged in the compilation of the profile) must determine the list of knowledge and skills that will be required to perform job duties. It's about professional competencies.
- Having decided upon the competences, it is important to distribute them according to the degree of importance, as well as the level at which the specialist should possess them. This will make it easier to select personnel.
- Further participants of the working group should determine,what personal characteristics a candidate for filling a vacant position should have. Sometimes character traits are even more important than professional competencies, because the latter can be worked out, and the former can become a serious obstacle in the work process.
- At the eighth stage, it is necessary to determine the generalrequirements for the employee. Usually this is sex, age, level of education or work experience and so on. It is worth noting that the first two signs are not always appropriate to use, because the law can treat them as discrimination.
- The final stage involves the identification ofThe criteria, according to which the efficiency of the employee's work will be determined. They can be applied during the trial period or for periodic assessment of the quality of work of existing workers.
It should be noted that this algorithm is notmandatory for compliance in all organizations. Depending on the size of the enterprise, as well as the specifics of its organizational structure, some stages may be missed, and additional ones may be introduced.
At the moment, there is noUnified form, according to which the profile of requirements for the post would be drawn up. And to the professions themselves, specific requirements can be imposed on each enterprise. Nevertheless, the staff managers have already developed a certain practice, according to which the profile of the post is drawn up. The sample can look like this:
- the title of the position, according to the staff schedule;
- short description (what the worker should do);
- essential conditions (working schedule, salary level, etc.);
- requirements imposed on the applicant for the position (level of education, work experience in a particular field, certain special skills);
- expanded list of job descriptions;
- corporate competencies that a potential employee of a particular organization should have;
- psychological tests and other methods of assessing the suitability of the employee of a particular position.
This is an approximate pattern. Most often this structure has a profile of the post. The sample can be expanded or narrowed, depending on the structure of the organization. Also, additional parameters can be entered for specific posts.
Staff Manager Position Profile
The HR manager is one of the mostresponsible positions at the enterprise, after all, the qualitative composition of employees depends on this employee. Therefore, the personnel have special requirements, which are reflected in such a document as the profile of the post. The sample can be as follows:
- skills of work with people (the manager on the personnel should have skills of dialogue and the decision of disputable questions);
- Fast involvement (the personnel specialist should not be indifferent, he should have an interest in solving certain issues);
- an initiative in matters related to improving the structure and quality of staff;
- openness to communication (this quality is necessary due to the specific features of the post);
- enthusiasm for solving current issues;
- a positive mood that will be passed on to all other members of the team;
- ability to conduct a conversation (it is the manager who is given the leading role in a conversation with potential and real employees);
- leadership skills;
- skills of public speaking (for presentation of reports and reports to top management, as well as holding seminars for subordinates);
- non-standard thinking for making creative decisions in emergency situations;
- oratorical abilities, persuasiveness of utterances;
- speed of thinking and quickness in action;
- the ability to adapt to changing conditions (as well as assisting newly recruited staff);
- absence of fear of risk (this characteristic should be moderately pronounced);
- independence in decision-making;
- the ability to experiment and find new approaches to management;
- a sense of humor that helps to nullify stressful and stressful situations.
The profile of the position of the manager responsible forrecruitment, should be drafted with particular care, because this position is one of the key in any enterprise. The person claiming this position must fully meet the requirements, because it is on his shoulders that he will be responsible for the formation of the staff.
Requirements for the sales manager
Quite often it is possible to meet this vacancy,as a sales manager. Despite the fact that many young people begin their work on the career ladder with this kind of work, already at this stage serious demands are made on the applicants. A typical profile of the position of a sales manager is as follows:
- readiness for constant communication with a wide range of people (suppliers, customers, buyers and so on);
- ability to make quick decisions on the results of negotiations with counterparties;
- the ability to maintain an optimistic mood in a conversation, and create an atmosphere of trust;
- creativity of thinking (it is important in the presentation of the product);
- the ability to rationally organize their time (since the work involves many daily meetings and negotiations);
- diplomatic tone in dealing with contractors and clients;
- emotional balance, the ability to remain calm in stressful situations, and quickly find a way out of conflict;
- the ability to find a common language with different types of personalities;
- loyalty to the product being sold.
It is worth noting that a very approximate profile of the position is given. The example can be expanded or reduced, according to the needs of the particular organization.
The main approaches to the profile of the post
The development of the position profile can be carried out in accordance with two main approaches:
- The situational approach implies that the documentis drawn up in an emergency order, when it is necessary urgently to close a vacant post. Because time is very limited, the document is drawn up very approximately, indicating only the most basic requirements for the potential employee. In the future, this procurement can serve to form a full-fledged profile.
- The methodological approach implies a thoroughwork, the results of which will develop clear features of the post, the necessary competencies, personal qualities, functional areas of responsibility. It will contain all the exhaustive information, and therefore will be considered a working document in the search and selection of personnel. As the organization will undergo any reforms, the profile will also undergo changes.
It is worth noting that for successful selection of personnelIt is important that the profile of the position be drawn up at the enterprise. An example of a unified document is difficult to bring, since this issue is not regulated by law, but remains at the discretion of the company's managers.
Profile is one of the main tools,which is used in the selection of candidates for the filling of a vacant post. In addition, according to this document, periodic assessment of personnel or a test of the trial period can be carried out. Depending on the results of the study, there may be identified areas for improving the level of qualification.
When composing a profile, it can be usedone of two approaches. Situation takes place when it is necessary urgently to close a vacancy. In this case, the description of the post can be compiled quite approximately with the indication of only the main characteristics. If we talk about the methodological approach, then a thorough detailed document is developed, which is constantly used in the recruitment process.
Typical job profile development processimplies the passage of several consecutive stages. To begin with, the characteristics of the profession, as well as the requirements to it, put forward by regulatory and legal acts are studied. It is also necessary to form a group of competent specialists who will take part in the compilation of documents. The profile is drawn up taking into account the organizational structure of the enterprise, and therefore it must also be carefully studied. The main part of the document is a description of the job description of the potential employee, as well as the requirements for competencies. Also worth paying attention to personal qualities (communication skills, stress resistance and so on).</ p>>